Sunday, January 11, 2015

Tug of War



I just saw this online:
Passage from “Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: Second Edition” by Steven C. Hayes, Kirk D. Strosahl, and Kelly G. Wilson:
Imagine that the situation you are in is like being in a tug-of-war with a monster. It is big, ugly, and very strong. In between you and the monster is a pit, and, so far as you can tell, it is bottomless. If you lose this tug-of-war, you will fall into the pit and be destroyed. So you pull and pull, but the harder you pull, the harder the monster pulls, and you edge closer and closer to he pit. The hardest thing to see is that our job here is not to win the tug-of-war …. Our job is to drop the rope.

2 comments:

  1. I like this quote. I really did find most of the misery for me was in the back and forth of it all, and once I let go and accepted that I couldn't drink, it wasn't all sunshine and roses, but it was easier. Hooray for you, sticking with it and doing well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a whole post on this!!! Put Down the Rope.

    This is one of the most profound things to impact my life in a long time.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete