Saturday, June 16, 2018

6/16/18 Chasing the Buzz

Last night I had dreams about alcohol. For awhile I was with people (can't remember who) and feeling ok, a little stressed, down and tired, but ok. Then one of my drinking buddy neighbors came over all hyper and happy ready to have a beer with us. All of a sudden my mood shifted. I, a split second I decided I was going to have a beer and I was happy and excited...like I used to be.

I am trying to think about what to ask the psychiatrist/counselor/therapist when I go. I don't think my real problem is stopping the drinking...it is staying stopped. I do think that I am trying to chase a younger/party girl/popular/outgoing/in shape/happy version of myself.

In my 20's I was super happy. My dh had a very lucrative job based. We had a new house and two new cars by the time I was 21. He was also helping me get through college. During this time I was the perfect example of "working for the weekend".  I worked my ass off Monday through Friday afternoon. I was going to college, eventually earning a master's degree. I was working part time, going to college, grocery shopping every Monday, cleaning my house every Wednesday, doing yard work every Thursday, working out 5 days a week, and getting all of my homework done. I was in great shape and had a great group of friends that we hung out with every weekend....and drank....every weekend. We had so much fun. Parties at my house, parties at our friend's houses, drunk bowling, drunk roller skating, drunk 4-wheel driving through remote areas in the middle of nowhere (which ironically is now the overdeveloped suburb I live in), drunk planetarium, drunk camping, drunk boating, drunk cruising, drunk dancing in bars. I'm not going to lie. It was a blast! Sure, I was a little hungover Saturday, but I had worked so hard during the week so I could enjoy my weekend. I could afford to get up at 11:00 am, lay around and rest until the evening and then get the party started again. Sunday I also had a little hangover but it was my "cheat day" so I allowed myself to eat crap food and relax. I hardly ever got the debilitating hangovers I get now. I would drink wine coolers and schnapps every Friday and Saturday and barely feel it the next day. Monday I would get up and start over.  I am sure there was some bad parts - fights with dh, drunken fights with friends, embarrassing moments like when I threw up in a stranger's house plant, drunk driving way too often...but these aren't what I remember. I was happy, productive, social, confident, looked good, got a lot of attention and had a lot of fun. I was the good looking, super fun, hyper party girl. Those were the good old days.

I think part of why I continue to drink is because I am trying to get that "me" back. I realize that alcohol has a different effect on me now  both when I drink as well as when I am recovering from drinking, but that does not negate the fact that I still see glimpses of my former self in the anticipation of drinking. Just like in my dream. When my friend walked through the door, I hadn't even put alcohol to my lips yet, but the anticipation of it happening gave me energy, excitement and happiness that I have a hard time finding in sobriety. When younger, it was the anticipation of the weekend drinking that gave me all the energy and excitement to get my work done during the week. When sober I just seem to slog through my days and weeks, struggling to get things done bc I don't feel like I have anything to work towards. Vacations don't even seem as exciting. In all honesty I know that part of my "slogging" is due to weekday alcohol withdrawals that I didn't get when younger, but I can't even find that feeling after months of sobriety. I still have this romanticized image in my head that makes me try to repeat the days of my younger years.

I think that is why I always go back. I am trying to get that feeling back. I suppose it isn't any different than a heroine user that is always chasing that first high. I am chasing my first decade of drinking. That feeling of excited anticipation. It gave me energy and made me happy.

My question:

How do I either experience those feelings without drinking or learn to live without them?

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are chasing your youth at age 50. Have you tried botox or dysport or resylane or sculptra or bellafill or cool sculpting? There are some excellent providers in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it’s about making peace with who you are today.
    You are worthy, valuable and enough. Just as you are.

    Unconditional self acceptance, three powerful words. That is what I always come back to.

    Hugs
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. My experience is minimal (day 16 AF) but I get what you're saying. Comfort zone, that which feels familiar, feels right... It's the morning after that gives me pause. I have a magnet on my frig, "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

    My greatest struggle has been trying to fill the void. It sounds like it's your struggle too.

    I will be 61 in just a few weeks and have been a daily drinker for 23 years. My hubby is a daily drinker but he has always been able to drink slowly with water and/or activities in between. Not me, I pound them. I wouldn't start drinking until after the days duties were completed. Responsible me...

    So now I'm carving out a new normal. I'm reading sober blogs and books like a crazy person and challenging myself to be at peace with inactivity. I am also slowly filling my free time with healthy activities, such as joining a gym and seeing a therapist. I just can't bring myself to attend AA. Pride? Fear? ...you bet.

    I'm babbling a bit...and what I've shared doesn't offer much assistance for you. I just want to thank you for having this blog and for being so transparent. You are much younger than I am and today I worry about silly things such as memory loss, bone loss and muscle loss. When I drink, I do nothing else.

    Be smarter than me. Start now being kind to your brain, your bones...your body. Patience is like yoga, practice, practice, practice.

    I believe my new normal will reveal itself, my only job is to remain AF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise, kind comments. I quit at 52 - a couple of years ago. AA gets a bad rap (I didn't want to go to AA either) - have found it to be a great tool in my sobriety journey - I initially went because it was recommended - now I go because I like the experience, wisdom and the people (I would recommend starting with a women's group if you live in a metropolitan area that offers it).

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment regarding AA. I'm fortunate to have an all woman's AA 30 minutes from my home. I will spend more time considering this. My therapist also has recommended I join AA. I appreciate this gentle nudge...

      Delete
  4. Those feelings that you are chasing are a FANTASY. The brief buzz/drunkness aleays gives way to next Day ugliness. It never changes. It’s always the same.
    We are 50. We are not party GIRLS anyomore. We are older wome who look like fools/lushes and hags when we try to drink like the cutesy 21 year olds. And when we are out there trying to maintain that party girl persona everyone sees us as pathetic and desperate. Sorry to be so harsh.

    ReplyDelete