Thursday, July 13, 2017

7/13/17 (Thurs) Heart Diagnosis

I got my test results from wearing the holter monitor for three days.  The dr said I have Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC). Of course I started doing some research on it.  I found the following:

Risk factors

By Mayo Clinic Staff
The following stimulants, conditions and triggers may increase your risk of premature ventricular contractions:
  • Caffeine, tobacco and alcohol
  • Exercise
  • High blood pressure (hypertension)
  • Anxiety
  • Underlying heart disease, including congenital heart disease, coronary artery disease, heart attack, heart failure and a weakened heart muscle (cardiomyopathy)

Complications

By Mayo Clinic Staff
If you have frequent premature ventricular contractions or certain patterns of premature ventricular contractions, you may be at increased risk of developing heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias) or weakening of the heart muscle (cardiomyopathy).
Rarely, when accompanied by underlying heart disease, frequent premature contractions can lead to chaotic, dangerous heart rhythms and possibly sudden cardiac death.

Well, in a way I got what I wanted. Medical proof that I am damaging myself with alcohol.  I am 100% sure that mine are caused by alcohol because they occur the night of and for a couple of days after drinking. This is probably because of the alcohol itself and the anxiety I feel regarding drinking.  When I stop drinking (after a couple of weeks) the get a lot better and after a couple of months pretty much go away all together.  I got a diagnosis that isn;t that scary but proves I am causing damage and can get worse if I don't take steps to be more healthy. 
This is just another tool in my toolbox to help when/if I get cravings to drink.  It is just not worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you see the connection. My experience is that my heart palpitations resolved when I quit drinking.
    I still drink cpffee and have caffeine. And if my anxiety is severe I do get a racing heart.

    But never like when I drank.

    Alcohol is so damaging to the body. We are better off without it.

    ReplyDelete