Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday, August 15, 2011

On the mmabsers list a very wise, IMHO, person named Mike posted the following to me:


daily drinking or not it matters little.
it is not how much one drinks or necessarily how one drinks,
but rather what it does to one inside.  this is more the barometer
of a drinking problem.  we are all different yet if we have gotten
to a point where alcohol represents a struggle, it is likely beyond
moderation.  that is why we are here living the much more "awesome"
life, freeing ourselves.  even parties can start to be more manageable
w/out booze.  in fact everything will become more manageable especially
one's insides.  simply abstaining and learning to live life sober can begin
a huge process of change in perspective in many areas of one's thinking
and feeling life.  it is a wonderful thing.  i hope you stick around for awhile
and listen, participate as much as you care to.   there is a lot of experience
and support and understanding here.

All the best.  With wishes for love, peace and happiness always,

mike


This post really made me think.  I have spent so much time telling myself that I am not as bad as those "other people" because of when, how much, how often or what I did or did not drink.  "Mike" is absolutely right ... it isn't about any of that .... it is about how I feel on the inside ...  and I have been feeling pretty darn crappy for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this post. I have been struggling with my alcohol issues for a few years. Like you, I was unsure whether or not to just try to moderate. I never drive drunk, rarely have a hangover, but I can easily put down a bottle of wine. I have made the decision now to abstain and while searching the net, I found your post. Just what I needed right now!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete