Monday, December 26, 2011

12/26/11 (Mon) Success (anxiety attacks)

I DID IT!!!!  I got through cooking an amazing Christmas dinner for 16 people (crazy, drinking, family members) without drinking.  I don't know if I have ever done that in my adult life other than the year I was pregnant.  It was a little weird.  The anticipation and build up was actually worse than the event.  While making the shopping list, out shopping and beginning to cook I felt terrible.  I had a major mental struggle going on in my head.

On the one hand I was thinking, "This is just going to suck. I don't even want to do it.  I just wish every one would cancel.  I am not going to be able to look forward to everything again. I will just start tomorrow.  I shouldn't be attempting this during the holidays.  what am I going to say of anyone bugs me."

On the other hand, I was thinking,  "Are you kidding me!!!  I haven't even gone 2 days and I am already trying to convince myself.  This about how incredibly proud you will be about yourself.  It is just another 24 hours.  No big deal just get through it."

I honestly felt like I was having an anxiety attack for about 3 hours because of the anticipation of not being able to drink.  Then, once everyone started getting here, I just kept busy, tried not to think about it and just focussed on the cooking.

The most amazing part was that NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!  I DON'T THINK ANYONE EVEN NOTICED!!!!! I am shocked!!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW that's one HUGE step you took! How very strong you are, to manage through that battle AND deal with the Christmas dinner at the same time.

    Good going girl!

    ReplyDelete