Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Want vs. Like 4/3/18

I was watching a video by Annie Grace (This Naked Mind) last night and she was talking about the difference between wanting vs liking alcohol. I found it very interesting bc I think what she is saying is so true for me.

At the beginning of my drinking career, I wanted to drink and I liked it. I had fun while drinking. I laughed, it gave me energy, I did silly things while drinking with friends my friends - it was a really good time for quite a few years.

I never thought about it before, but I don't think this is the case anymore.  I do still want to drink, but I don't think I actually like it anymore. I started thinking about the last year or so - after I have that beer or glass of wine I can honestly say that I really don't like the feeling anymore. I really don't like the "out of it" way I feel when buzzed. It makes me super tired, less able to focus on the present moment and actually kind of yucky - not to mention the aftereffects of stomach aches, insomnia, heart palpitations, anxiety and depression. I can honestly say with 100% certainty that I like the feeling of being sober better than the feeling of being buzzed. I don't think it is about actually liking it while I am drinking anymore. It is more about wanting it. Wanting the the anticipation of drinking. Curing the worry about events not being enjoyable without it.

It's pretty interesting to think about. I "want" something that I don't even "like" anymore. If I didn't like chicken anymore and it made me sick, I would stop eating it. Drugs suck! They are so self destructive. They make you crave something that is making you miserable.

4 comments:

  1. I agree: I don't miss the feeling of the "mushy" mind. When I find myself craving wine, I remember what it will do to my mind. There are better ways to relax. For me, it is the focus on the consequences that keeps me from slipping. Oh, and all the support on line. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have absolutely no want left.i like my clear mind.
    Drugs are very hard. It helps to think of booze as the drug it is. It might be socially acceptable, but it is a drug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are sober today. SO many things to do in CO besides guzzle beer in your garage. Be strong, Teacher!

    ReplyDelete