Thursday, April 26, 2018

4/26/18 (Thurs) SMART Goals for May

Image result for smart goals

We set SMART goals for students in education all the time.  We don't just say, "He/she needs to read better or get better at math." That goal wouldn't get us very far because it isn't specific about what they need and how we are going to accomplish the goal. SMART goals are very specific courses of action, such as having the student in a intervention reading group five days a week for 30 minutes with the interventionist using a specific research backed reading program. We make sure that it is possible given the structure of the school day. We make sure that the skills we are working on are actually what the student needs (comprehension vs decoding). We make sure the goals are small steps that are reasonably attainable by the student and there is a time limit (2-4 weeks) at which time progress is assessed and, if the goal has been met, a new attainable goal is set until the student is where they need to be.  If progress is not made, we change the course of action. We don't just keep doing the same generalized thing all year if it isn't working hoping that somehow the student will improve.

Why can't I use this system in my own life.  When I quit smoking (which took me three years and was so incredibly hard), I had to finally change everything in my life - not just the smoking. For the first 6 months of my last and finally successful attempt, I stopped drinking (bc I liked to smoke when I drank and lost my resolve), I worked out everyday, I ate healthy, I got a lot of sleep, etc. My focus was on being healthy and smoking didn't fit into that lifestyle.  And it worked. I was working so hard at being healthy, I didn't want to put that poison in my body.  It was still hard to handle all of the nicotine cravings and I cried and screamed and withdrew from the world, but I did it.

I am currently 20 pounds over weight. I'm only 5'4 so I can definitely tell. Every fall, I tell myself I am going to work out all winter so I don't have to spend then next summer in yoga pants as I am too embarrassed to put on a pair of shorts. I don't think I have had a swimming suit on in at least five years. Well, after 7+ years of that goal, it still hasn't happened. I blame part of that (actually a lot) on alcohol. I am so busy worrying about drinking or not drinking, or hungover, or depressed and isolated when abstaining, that I haven't really had much mental real estate to lend to anything else for the last 10 years.

What if I make some SMART goals for the month of May. What if I get really specific about what I want to accomplish, work really hard and see how I feel at the end of the month. Just focus on today, today and get done what is on my list. I will make a calendar with my goals for each day and cross off when each goal is accomplished.

So I made a google doc here  to keep track of my progress.

Specific
Body - cardio or weights 6 days a week in the morning
Mind - meditate or yoga 6 days a week in the afternoon/evening
Diet - eat three healthy meals and two snacks every day, nothing after 6:30 pm, limit sugar/junk food
No Alcohol for 6 weeks
Reread "The Naked Mind" and Alan Carr's book to remind myself of the toxic, addictive nature of alcohol

Measurable
Cross off each item at the end of the day
Log each Sunday about how I am feeling (once a week instead of obsessing every day)
Track body composition

Attainable
Yes - I can do this for 6 weeks. There is no reason why I can't. I have the time and equipment.
Meal plan/shop every Sunday for the following week
Set my alarm for earlier in the morning (and actually get up)
Use the Headspace App to learn how to meditate
Use Daily Burn for workouts and yoga
Use Couch to 5K for cardio
Limit the amount of time on computer and tv
Get on mmabsers and seek support for alcohol cravings

Relevant
Absolutely - when is working on improving health irrelevant
Hopefully - working on all areas of health will help with remaining sober

Time Bound
6 weeks

My ultimate goal is to be the best version of myself which includes not drinking for 6 weeks. I will use these smaller SMART goals to get there.

I'm not going to lie - it gives me a little bit of anxiety to even post this and make it public as there is part of me that knows I am going to want to drink this month and will be upset with myself that I even made this plan and published it because then I will feel like a failure.  If I don't make any goals, then I have nothing to fail at. While that doesn't get me anywhere it is less scary. I think I am so sick of failing that it is easier to not even try. Just keep doing the same things hoping things will get better.

6 comments:

  1. I’m sorry. I truly believe you only need one smart goal to focus on and it is to stop drinking.
    The rest of this is honestly just noise, and denial.

    You are setting yourself up for a hard time by adding all these rules.
    I have tried rules. They don’t work and are smothering.

    I’m sorry to be blunt. I can see you are trying to convince yourself you don’t have a problem. But reading your blog tells a very different story.

    I’m cheering for you. I want you to be free. Please consider getting real help. If not, some day you will see that you missed out on a lot of life drinking and obsessing. Or you will end up with legal, employment, health or serious family problems that aren’t easily fixed.

    Quit while you are ahead.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. If you feel a plan would help, why don’t you make a plan for tomorrow and post it here and gauge how things go day by day.

    Goals must be achievable and measurable. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! This plan sounds complicated, unreasonable and stressful. My concern would be you’re setting yourself up to fall short of these goals which will effect your self esteem...and we all know where that leads.

    I agree with Anne. How about giving yourself permission to have 1 goal, not to drink. You can make your days as complicated or lazy as you want, just don’t drink. Give yourself permission to take this journey one day at a time. All you have to do with this plan is not drink. Some days you’ll be full of energy, others you’ll want to nap and watch television.

    The best gift to yourself is to not drink today.

    Keep blogging and allow yourself to feel excited about a new life.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was all in on Monday's "let's not drink for 40 days" plan, but this is a lot! I admire your ambition and will check in to see how it's going. Here's to June 1st! Libby (Day 5)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Anne and Brian. You've tried these things before and they haven't worked. I like what Belle says about "trying different" instead of "trying harder." All these rules are just you trying harder, using the same tools that failed you before. If you want a different result, you need to try something different. I know that going to a meeting and and/or reaching out for help in real life is terrifying, but I also think it will get you what you really want - freedom from alcohol.

    I know this is hard to hear. I'm truly, truly rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s May 2. How are these goals going?

    ReplyDelete