Thursday, April 27, 2017

4/27/17 (Thurs) - Emotional vs physical response to alcohol

The last two Sundays when I have woke up at 2:00 am (after drinking) and can't go back to sleep, I posted a question about why on a message board I am on. Many said that they thought the heart palpitations and insomnia were caused by anxiety.  I am not so sure.  I really truly believe that alcohol, no matter how little, causes that physical response in my body.  It may be the same physical feelings of anxiety but not caused by worry, disappointment, shame.  Last Sunday, yes I drank and I wasn't happy about it but I wasn't beating myself up about it at 2:00 am.  In other words my anxiety about drinking weren't causing the physical symptoms.  I believe that the presence of alcohol in my system caused my body to have the physical symptoms of heart palpitations, headaches and insomnia.  I also believe that the presence of alcohol in my system over time has physically messed with the neurotransmitter in my brain and is physically causing anxiety, depression, memory loss and exhaustion. I don't think it is all an emotional/mental response any more.  I think my body can no longer physically handle alcohol.

2 comments:

  1. For sure!
    My body got very messed up by alcohol.
    I am finding that any women are not able to handle as much alcohol as they get older.
    xo
    wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. That might be true for you.
    What does it mean? Will you not drink again? Does it help you decide that?

    Anxiety can have severe physical symptoms. Alcohol withdrawal can as well. Perhaps you are having withdrawal symptoms. It is a sign of more advance alcohol abuse. You might want to talk to your doctor about that...

    ReplyDelete