Saturday, March 10, 2018

Week 10 - Missing a flight dreams - 3/10/18

I keep having the same dream. It changes a little but the idea is always the same. It always involves traveling, running late, packing and unpacking suitcases, not being able to find the correct clothing and an incredibility intense sense of anxiety.  I get into such a panic attack during these dreams that it wakes me up. I have to lay there for a few minutes calming myself down, telling myself it was only a dream. I feel like some of the residual anxiety is still with me when I get up in the morning. I am having these dreams 2-3 times per week.  Why?????

I looked it up and found the following on this Psychology Today site

DREAM: Here are three dream fragments that are expressive of this them. One person reported, “I dreamt of being booked on an airline flight, but missed the flight.” Another person reported, “I dreamt of getting ready for a big road trip but had trouble deciding what to pack.” And a third person reported, “I dreamt of taking a vacation with my partner but we could never decide where to go.” 


COMMENTARY: Here the dreamers are about to go on a trip but not quite getting there on time, forgetting, waking up late, missing the departure, etc. They could have similarly dreamt that they were about to travel by bus, plane, car, jet, or boat. These dreams often show our hesitancies, attachments, or beliefs that are somehow limiting us or stopping us from taking a step in our lives or a step toward a deeper way of living. It could be our need to be prepared that stops us (e.g. we are busy packing or deciding what to take with us)
In many of these cases, it can be useful to encourage the dreamer to ‘jump,’ go for it, take their hopes and desires seriously, not worry to much about what is right, or not overthink or over-plan in life.
I do have a lot going on right now.  I am switching schools next fall.  I have been at the same school for 15 years, but am excited to make this change and do something new.  I am taking an online college math class to get myself certified to teach middle school. I am not drinking and still have some worry about that in terms of upcoming events.  We just got an email yesterday inviting us to an FAC next Friday at one of my favorite breweries to get to know the staff.  I want to go and think it is important but am worried what they will all think when I am not drinking. What I will say...what excuse I will make. I do want to establish with the new set of colleagues that I am a non drinker but can still have fun.  I always told my own children when they started middle school or high school or college that it is a time to reinvent themselves.  They can become who they want.  I do look at changing schools in this way, but am worried about a few of the logistics around drinking believe it or not.  I am not at all worried about being about to be successful in the position, tho.
Maybe my stress also comes from being lazy and not working out.  I have made promise after promise to myself that I would start working out and I just can;t get myself motivated.  This coming week I am going to try to work out every day and see if it helps me get rid of this dream.

1 comment:

  1. I think your new co-workers, would be very accepting of you not drinking. If you have to use an excuse, I think you could say, you just feel better not drinking.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete