Saturday, March 24, 2018

A different kind of vacation 3/24/18

I haven't drank anything since the one beer last Saturday. I did notice, tho, that the cravings came back a bit since then. I would get home from work on Thursday and just want a beer. What the heck. It's almost spring break. No one is here. Who would know? I poured myself a sparkling probiotic drink from a bottle that looked like a beer bottle, into a beer glass and pretended it was a beer. The craving faded and I was fine. Today we are going back to Juneau. Remember last summer when we were there? I was in such a dark place. i just couldn't seem to find the joy in anything. I thought I would be happy when I was able to drink, but even that wasn't making me happy. Remember, I quit while there and stayed quit until November. This will be my first 100% sober vacation in a very long time. It should be much better than last time.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you handled the craving. It is important to remember that the craving doesn't last that long. This reminds me of the hellish period I went through, when my menopause-related hot flashes began. Each one was just a nightmare, until I trained my mind to change how I reacted to them: instead of panicking, I would breathe deeply and remind myself that in less than three minutes, it would be over. And it always was. Cravings for alcohol can last more than three minutes, but turning to a nice alternative beverage and enjoying it is a great way to get through the craving! You are living proof that it works - so thank you so much for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your vacation. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete