Saturday, October 7, 2017

Fighting boredom vs overly busy 10/7/17

I am going to try to blog at least once a week.  It has been so busy with school starting again, conferences coming up, my dd moving back in to finish up college, and my ds moving into a college dorm.  All good...but busy.

I do think, however, I am too busy. For example, Friday after work I now go to the grocery store and do any other running around I need to do. While it is nice to get it done, I don't get home until 7:00 and am exhausted and grumpy.  I think part of the reason I do it is so that I don't get bored, sit around on a Friday thinking about a drink and feeling sorry for myself that I can't have one.  It is easier to keep myself distracted.  I drove past the liquor store last night, on my way to the store, and saw a man carrying a case of micro beers and a bag of ice.  I got a little jealous. I would frequent the liquor store on many Fridays.  It felt celebratory to end a long work week. To sit down, relax, talk to friends and celebrate the weekend. Now I seem to "celebrate" by running myself ragged on Friday evenings.

I think I need to be careful about running my "battery" too low. If I don't stop to relax, I may find my cravings becoming worse because I am tired and grumpy?  Gotta figure out how to relax with out alcohol and without feeling bored.

4 comments:

  1. Long time lerker, first time poster. A big congrats on your 100 Days!!

    I try to remember to HALT as much as possible, not getting too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Tricky but so very helpful to staying somewhat centered. Have you tried meditation to relax? I use an app called Simply Being, it really helps me take that 5 minutes to relax.
    Best wishes for your continued journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to check that out. I keep reading about meditation and want to give it a try. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Yes, I understand.
    Fridays after teaching all week, were such a day to look forward to, sitting with hubs and wine, discussing the week. Of course, I over drank and then it wasn't fun.
    Now, we go for walks together. Sometimes we pick out a movie we really want to watch, and sometimes we go out to eat.
    Keep looking and trying something, but you are so right...don't get too tired as the writer above said.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week will be really hard on Friday as I have conferences tonight and tomorrow and Friday off. Exhausting.

      Delete