Sunday, May 13, 2018

5/13/18 - Mother's Day - Blah, Blah, Blah

This is what I wrote last Mother's Day (and in 2012). 

5/14/17 (Sun) Mother's Day


I was going back in my posts to previous Mays.  I ran across one post in May 2012
Today is Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, traditionally a pretty heavy drinking weekend - warm weather, 3 day weekend, school is almost out - YEAH!!!  So last night I had one beer in the sun - the whole reason I chose to start drinking again.  It was nice, but I felt a little guilty bc one of my neighbors who knew I quit drinking saw me drinking.  We went inside and my neighbor, yes that neighbor, asked if I wanted a glass of wine.  I said, "Sure, why not."  I only had one but it was probably more than one bc she uses fish bowls for wine glasses.  Then dh was starving so we went to dinner and I had one more beer.  We called it an early evening at 10:30 and I came home.  Not an epic failure, I never really felt too drunk, but today I am completely wiped out!  I am starting to wonder if my body can handle any type of alcohol consumption at all any more.  That amount of alcohol in the past would not have even fazed me!

So, 5 years later I am still out of shape, struggling, wondering if I can drink normally, successfully moderate, or quit for good and still be happy. Alcohol, 5 years later, is still my #1 obsession.  I know now, without a doubt, my body does not like to have alcohol put in it. I guess I need to decide if I am going to spend the next 5 years doing the same thing.  I know in my heart that if I don't just quit drinking and see if it makes me happy, I will be in this same spot 5 years from now.  I know this without any doubt at all.  Even if I can control my drinking for awhile, I always end up drinking to much (which anymore is just like 5 drinks), having a hangover, beating myself up, allowing myself the next week to recover which means not working out or being motivated in any other area of my life.  And then just doing the same thing the next weekend. Even if I only have that 5 nighter once a month, it still affects me the other three weeks of the month - physical, mentally, emotionally. 

I really want, on this last Mother's Day of my 40s, to give myself a gift - the gift of sobriety - the gift of figuring out who I am and what I want without alcohol in my life. To be good to myself, to care about myself, to put myself first in this area, to cherish my own life, happiness and sense of peace. To be strong enough to be able to do this. To believe all of you who tell me it is better. To be able to weather the cravings and the social situations and the summer vacations and other's judgement and my own judgement and the drama and negativity and self doubt and sensitivity - all without alcohol making me feel terrible about myself.  I want to eat better, sleep better, work out, take care of myself and be truly happy inside my own self.  I want to be at peace inside my own brain. 

I want to wake up smiling and joyful and well rested and ready to take on the day.  I want to spend my days productive and positive and unselfish and joyful I want to end the day peaceful with the feeling of accomplishment and proud of myself and grateful.

The thing stopping me is fear - fear of failure, fear of difficulty, fear of struggle, fear of boredom, fear of judgement, fear of feeling left out, fear of not being happy without it, fear of being different, fear of making others feel uncomfortable, fear of having to deal with difficult family situations without it, fear of not being fun anymore, fear of vacations sucking, fear of not enjoying sitting in the sun in the spring on a Friday after work, fear of never looking forward to the weekend, fear of never having a nice glass of wine with dinner again, fear of never going to breweries with my friends again, fear of never having fun anymore, fear of never feeling that buzzed, relaxed, social, having fun feeling again, fear of the sadness of loss or it in my life, fear of failure.

I now I need to do this, I know I want to do this, to give myself this gift on Mother's day but I am so scared.........I am so scared to once again make that commitment that I know I will fail.  I always fail. I know deep down that I can do this I am just so scared to try, to give it a chance. It gives me anxiety to think about it.  

I guess it is up to me - spend the next five years the same as the last five or be brave and try something different.

I woke up today (without a hangover btw), one year later, feeling the EXACT same way.  I could have written a post today without looking at my post a year ago and it would have said EXACTLY the same thing. I am not any worse than last year..maybe even doing a little better in terms of the amount I am drinking and the number of hangovers I suffer through, but I still don't feel mentally free.  I still feel stuck in this loop. 
Part of me wants to declare this lofty goal of one year of sobriety - to shout it from the rooftops, to be relieved to be free from this obsession....another part of me is scared shitless to say it once again (what is this - my 15th attempt?). I just feel so weak and, dare I say it, powerless....like I can't beat it so why try. Then, when all those thoughts enter, all of the mental gymnastics begin - which happens constantly in my brain - from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. Even when I am busy doing something else, it is still a whisper in the back of my brain nudging me between these two choices
For example, I see some celebrity that is beautiful, in shape and doesn't drink and I think "that's what I want...if she can be rich and famous and not drink (I bet she has tons of friends and has fun) then so can I" and then I see an ad on tv of beautiful people drinking a lite beer around a campfire or a cold glass of Kim Crawford at a sophisticated party and I think "no, I want that - to have fun with my friends this summer to be able to drink and not be different and be happy."
This mental WWF (no - more like UFC bc I am stuck in a cage and it is not at all fake) fighting match is happening CONSTANTLY in my head. This is what it sound like -  "Start in August. It will be easier when summer is over." "No, do it know - get that first summer out of the way right now." "You aren't that bad/you just obsess/you can moderate and be happy." "No, you can not drink any amount of alcohol and be happy. All of this obsession will not go away until you stop weekend drinking." "Mother's Day is a perfect time to start one year sober - Mother's Day to Mother's Day - give yourself this gift - just try it - one year."  "No, not now, you have too many things coming up, drink and be happy, enjoy this summer, have fun, but also work out and eat well and be healthy."  "That's bullshit! You know your summer won't be any different. You will just stumble your way through it, doing a half-assed job at everything, never really completely finishing anything, feeling overwhelmed by everything." "Ya, but do you also want to feel excited for nothing? spending your summer feeling anxious about attending things without drinking? feeling bored, left out, worried? Just start in August." "Why? Why wait until August? You want to start your new job fit and confident and patient and calm...you won't feel that way if you drink all summer." "That's true but I will just make myself work out and get things accomplished but still be able to drink on the weekends - just stop obsessing." "I call BULLSHIT on that. You have proof. Look at your blog. Nothing is going to change." "It is going to suck! This summer without drinking." "Only if you let it suck. Your attitude will determine whether or not it sucks, not weather you are drinking or not. It could very well, and probably will, suck if you do drink." "That't true. DO I want to feel like I am dragging myself through another summer, feeling unmotivated and uninspired and tired and directionless just to start my job feeling sensitive, out of shape, worried, anxious and burned out?" I could go on forever, but you get the picture.
I am not kidding..this goes on, to some degree, in my head ALL DAY, EVERY DAY...even when sober. The only difference, when I am drinking, is that I also have the voices telling me not to drink this weekend, to drink this weekend.
This mental battle also has a constant, profound effect on my emotional state. Sometimes I feel sad and hopeless, sometimes excited and hopeful, sometimes nervous and scared, sometime angry and sick of if all, sometimes determined and strong, sometimes defeated and weak, but never at peace...NEVER. 
For all you happy sober people out there - how long does it take for the voices, the mental battle to go away after you become sober? When I got sober for 9 months, it got better, but never truly was silenced. Maybe it never is, maybe this is just my lot in life. 
What am I going to do....honestly...to be determined...check back later...I am so afraid to declare sobriety, yet again, just to fail, yet again but also scared to try to continue to moderate, yet again, but fail at that, yet again. It seems like a lose/lose proposition.  I need to think about it some more. Yay, I know you can't think your way out of addiction. I know you have to just take the plunge, jump off the bridge, have some faith, believe in the happiness other have found. Maybe I just don't think I can do it or that I will be happy. I don't know. But, at least I am not giving up and I am still blogging.



Image result for fear to change is the enemy of success

3 comments:

  1. Keep trying - you've heard this before but you keep doing the hardest part over and over... It gets better gradually - as in day to day and I've noticed over the passage of time - I'm going on two years and the second year is when I started to feel relaxed in my own skin - but again it is gradual and comes with self care and for me daily acceptance and help from inspirational readings, these blogs, meetings and reading material. It really works and helps to take this one day at a time and before you know it the days and weeks start adding up and you will notice you feel better. Have you been to a dr. for anxiety/depression? There is non addictive medicine that helps too; my anxiety went away once I stopped consuming alcohol - I still take medication for depression (not depressed any more - maintenance now). You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it’s time to call your employer assistance program and ask for help.
    You are suffering and after all these years it seems you need support and professional help to do this.

    I’ve seen others do this and although it is very scary, they have all been so grateful.

    The voices are addiction and they will continue until you find the tools to live a sober life.
    For many this means therapy, AA, treatment, etc.

    You have tried a lot of things. It might be time to take the big step.

    Hug. The freedom is there for you.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I empathize, Ksus.

    I can tell you what worked for me--you've heard it before, but I'll tell you again: I quit (with help from mmabsers) but at about 2 months sober I realized that without a supportive face to face fellowship I wasn't going to be able to stay sober, or if I did stay sober, I didn't know how to live happily sober.

    So I started attending AA meetings--sporadically at first--I was so uncomfortable--yikes! But then eventually I found a group I liked and really started working the program. Since that time, my life has changed.

    Yes, life is better not hungover, but honestly, I attribute most of my happy sobriety to working the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. The self-examination and honesty required for that helped me to deal with some of the crap underneath my drinking. I think (for me) without AA I would either be drinking or I would be an unhappy obsessing non-drinker. Having friends who are sober, being able to help others--it's been such a gift.

    That's my story, but what you choose to do is up to you. Every day of my life I am grateful for my sobriety and for AA. And, no, not every day is rainbows and unicorns, but I am absolutely 100% free of the obsessive thinking about drinking you're talking about--which is a freakin' miracle. Because that was the soundtrack playing in my head for years while I tried to control my drinking.

    Life is short, Ksus. You've already spent (at least) 7 years doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. (definition of insanity, girl!) And the thing is, you KNOW that...and yet you are still too proud (scared?) to seek help.

    Like Anne said, the freedom is there for you. IDK what it'll take for you to let yourself out of this cage, but I keep holding out hope that you will someday.

    Happy Mother's day Ksus.
    xo
    lulu

    ReplyDelete